History of St Stephen’s
Our story starts with the building of a Cistercian Abbey at Bordesley around 1138. A chapel dedicated to St Stephen was built as a Gatehouse chapel. This survived the disolution of the monestaries (circa 1538) and continued in use.
The building did revert to agricultural use but the Earl of Plymouth brought it back into use in the 1687 and placed it in the care of the Vicar of Tardebigge.
WIth the development of needle manufacture the chapel was modified and eventual a new chapel was build on what is now Church Green. This was completed in 1808 using stone from the older building.
The population of Redditch continued to grow. In 1851 the chapel was demolished to make for the current Gothic style building. The new church was consectrated in July 1855. A more detailed history can be found here.
Search for your ancestors at Worcestershire’s new landmark – The Hive – only the most recent baptismal and marriage records are kept locally.